USS NEW IRONSIDES
The most powerful vessel in the Civil War
USS New Ironsides was one
of the Union's original three
ironclad warships during
at Philadelphia Navy Yard 21 August 1862,
was the last, and largest, of the group
She was named after the
USS Constitution, the legendary "Old
Ironsides" of the War of 1812 because of her very thick
From the waterline, New Ironsides' armor
was by 4.5-inch. Below the waterline it was 3 inches.
This tremendous iron protection
made the ship ideal for
blockading and she spent most of her career blockading
the Confederate ports of Charleston, South Carolina, and
Wilmington, North Carolina, in 1863–65. Although
she was struck many times by Confederate shells, gunfire
never significantly damaged the ship or injured the
crew. Her only casualty in combat occurred when
she was struck by a spar torpedo carried by the CSS
New Ironsides' broadside battery of eight
heavy guns on each side made her a uniquely valuable
ship for bombardment purposes.
She bombarded the
fortifications defending Charleston in 1863 during the
First and Second Battles of Charleston Harbor.
At the end of 1864 and the beginning of 1865 she
bombarded the defenses of Wilmington in the First and
Second Battles of Fort Fisher.
USS New Ironsides was fitted with a steam
engine which propelled her up to eight knots. She
also had a sail rig, which was removed and stowed while
the ship was engaged in hostile action.
After the war USS
New Ironsides was decommissioned at
League Island on 6 April 1865. The veteran ironclad--the
most powerful warship of her era, was destroyed by fire
on 16 December 1866.
civil war vessel USS
New Ironsides features:
construction (very important)
All parts are wooden or metal
Weathered look (some rust and
dirt) like like a real warrior ironclad
base is included
(81 cm) long x 12" tall x 7.5" wide
S&H is $90