HMS Glatton was a 56-gun
fourth rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy.
Originally an East Indiaman, she was bought by the Royal
Navy in 1795, and converted into a warship.
Glatton was unusual in
that she was the only ship of the line to be armed
exclusively with carronades instead of the traditional
long guns that other warships carried in this era.
Carronades were half the weight of the equivalent
cannon, and could be worked by fewer men. They could
also fire much heavier shot; Glatton was armed with
twenty-eight 64-pounder and twenty-eight 32-pounder
carronades. This extremely heavy armament meant that the
fourth rate Glatton could discharge a heavier and more
destructive broadside than the mighty first-rate
In the Battle of
Camperdown in 1797, under her first captain, Henry
Trollope, this heavy armament allowed HMS Glatton to attack a
French squadron consisting of a 50-gun ship, five
frigates, a brig, and a cutter in the English Channel
and drive them into Flushing.
At the Battle of
Copenhagen in 1801,
was commanded by Captain William
Bligh, formerly of
HMS Bounty. Having spotted a
Dutch frigate maneuvering to attack HMS Elephant--the
flagship of Admiral Horatio Nelson, Bligh sailed
directly into the line of fire and caught most of the
enemy's broadside. Glatton was severely damaged
but remained afloat; Elephant was saved.