USS FORT HINDMAND
Fort Hindman was a
sidewheel steamer purchased in March 1863 as James
Thompson. She was converted into a river gunboat by
the addition of timber bulwarks and thin iron plate: a
style of warship commonly referred to as a "tinclad"
which was only intended to stop small arms fire.
Designed to patrol in shallow waters and small
tributaries where heavier ironclads could not enter, the
USS Fort Hindman joined the Mississippi Squadron in
April 1863, with Acting Volunteer Lieutenant Thomas O.
Selfridge, Jr. in command. The USS Fort
Hindman was .
In July 1863, the steamer headed an expedition up the
Little Red River, a tributary of the Black River, and
captured quantities of ordnance and Confederate
Government provisions, as well as the heavier Federal
Fort Hindman continued to patrol the central Mississippi
River and its tributaries, taking a Confederate
merchantman prize in the Red River 1st March, engaging
Confederate sharpshooters and a battery ashore in the
Black and later that day in the Ouachita River.
During the expedition, Fort Hindman transported troops
and prisoners of war, over and over again engaged
Confederate batteries, and took part in the passage of
the falls off Alexandria, Louisiana, on 8th May.
Moving to a more southerly patrol area, Fort Hindman
operated in the rivers and bayous of Louisiana,
occasionally returning to Natchez, Mississippi.
She was decommissioned 3 August 1865 in Mound City,
This 1/32 scale waterline model was one of the six model gunboats that we built for a railroad model company
for scenics. If you are
interested in having another built (at any sizes), please let us know: services@ModelShipMaster.com