Ocean Monarch was built by Vickers-Armstrongs Ltd,
Walker, and launched on 27 July 1950.
She was 13,654 gross ton and 516.1ft long, capable
of 18 knots, and accommodating 414 first class
Ocean Monarch was the first postwar-built ship
designed especially for the American cruise market.
Based in New York, she traveled on the New York -
Bermuda route. She served with Furness
Withy until 1966, during which she was awarded a
gold medal by the American Institute for Designing
for her "outstanding beauty and unusual design
features of a cruise ship".
Summer of 1981, Ocean Monarch started running for
SUR-Seereisen, Germany, who announced a series of
Mediterranean cruises to take place. Her name
was changed to Reina del Mar.
On 1 June 1981, a fire broke out on Reina del Mar.
The ship was subsequently scuttled off Kynosoura.